Glass furniture and household items make the interior light and airy, and give the space volume and harmony. But fragile things need repair more often than plastic or wood. If there is a crack in the glass, it can be glued or masked.
It is not necessary to call a craftsman or a neighbor. Cracked glass can easily be repaired yourself. A good glue will return it to its original appearance and help it last for several years. You will not remove the crack completely, but you will stop its growth and make it invisible.
Cracked glass: how to repair – general rules
There are several simple ways to hide the crack and improve the appearance of the damaged product. But before you start the restoration, you need to determine the type of material.
What kind of glass there are:
- Classic clear. It breaks into large pieces with sharp edges. It is these kinds of objects most often have to be glued at home.
- Triplex (laminated). Consists of several layers, connected by a film. It is not easy to break it. Even in case of strong damages, it will not crumble.
- Reinforced with a metal net. If it is damaged, it is better not to repair, but to make a replacement.
- Tempered (stalinite). Thanks to a special technology its strength is 5-8 times higher than usual. When the material breaks it crumbles into small fragments with smooth edges.
- Armored – it is used in military equipment, in the construction of trains and airliners.
What products are repairable:
- single-glazed windows,
- doors of cabinet furniture,
- decorative vases,
- interior doors,
On these things you can mask (hide) the crack, stop its further spreading.
What you can’t glue:
- microwave oven door,
- double-pane windows,
- Shower enclosure doors,
- armored products.
It is not recommended to glue products with chips or scratches more than 10 cm in diameter. Broken plate or glass is better to throw away, and the glass unit should be replaced.
How to properly seal a crack in the glass – instructions and useful tips
For the joint to become durable, the adhesive mixture must penetrate deep into the cavity. Simply mashing it from above, you will not achieve anything.
The work is carried out in a certain sequence:
- The broken glass is washed, removing dust and dirt, and then dried.
- Glued surfaces are degreased with alcohol or solvent.
- A small amount of the selected compound is applied to both parts.
- Firmly press and fix for 15-20 minutes.
- When the glue sets, leave the product for 1-4 hours in a warm dry place.
If the crack appeared on one side and has not yet passed over the entire area, it can be stopped. To do this, the material is drilled at its end, using a diamond nozzle. The technique allows you to relieve the tension. It does not allow the defect to spread further, but there is a risk of damaging the thing even more.
Simple ways to seal a crack on glass furniture, window and other items
Adhesive composition must be chosen carefully. In doing so, it is recommended to take into account the following factors:
- the nature of the chip,
- the color of the material,
- the size of the damage,
- the expected load on the seam,
- possible contact with liquids or food,
- likelihood of heating.
A heat-resistant adhesive will be required for the panelling or cooktop. Narrow cracks are easier to fill with liquid adhesive, and for larger damages, a thick composition is suitable. No toxic substances should be used for food contact products.
Silicone Adhesive Sealant
It not only localizes the crack, but also prevents it from spreading. The edges of the crack are firmly connected, the defect becomes invisible. Glued silicone glass is not afraid of water and detergents.
You will need:
- cotton swabs,
- silicone sealant,
- a medical syringe,
First wash the damaged material from dust. Treat it with an aqueous solution of detergent, dry it. Be careful not to hurt yourself. Wear gloves.
Then degrease the area where the crack is located. To do this, moisten a cotton swab in acetone, wipe the edges thoroughly.
How to remove a crack on glass:
- Fill a syringe with silicone. If the crack is large, squeeze it out of the tube.
- Carefully fill the void. Work slowly so that the gel fills the space.
- Spray with water from a spray gun.
- Wipe off any excess with a flannel.
- Depending on the brand, the composition dries for 12 to 24 hours.
Some authors suggest covering the repaired area with a layer of varnish. I believe that this is unnecessary.
Homemade glue from foam plastic
It comes in handy if there is no store glue. Wood, plastic, ceramics are glued with such a composition. The crack on the glass it will also camouflage. The only disadvantage is the smell, which takes a long time to weatherize.
What will be needed:
- Packing foam (expanded polystyrene foam);
- A solvent – acetone, gasoline, turpentine or purified kerosene;
- A porcelain container of suitable size for dilution.
For one part of the solvent take 4 parts of the foam. It is allowed to change the proportions depending on the viscosity required.
Before working, make sure there are no open flames or faulty electrical appliances in the vicinity. Provide good ventilation, and protect the respiratory system.
Preparation of Superglue:
- Crush the Styrofoam into crumbs.
- Pour the solvent into a ceramic pot.
- Add the Styrofoam. Add it in small portions, each time stirring and waiting for complete dissolution.
- The mixture is viscous and translucent. When it has reached the desired consistency, let it stand for 1-2 minutes. The smaller the crack, the more fluid the consistency should be.
- Proceed with the repair.
Homemade mixture hardens quickly. Prepare it in small batches. Use immediately after making it.
If the crack is large, pour the powdered foam into the cavity or over it, and pour acetone on top. It will dissolve the plastic, fill the crack, and bond it together securely.
It is often used as an “emergency aid” when a crack needs to be protected from further damage. Scotch tape will not disguise it, but it will help fix the glass so that it does not break into shards.
The surface needs to be dried and then taped over the damaged area on both sides. The repair is not durable.
Colorless nail polish
Apply nail polish to both joints along the crack with a brush. Put it together, fix for 20-30 minutes. Remove excess with a cotton pad soaked in acetone or nail polish remover. Reception well masks small flaws, prevents their proliferation.
Auto glass repair kit
If you do not know how to make a crack on the glass invisible, choose this method. Car owners often face similar problems. For them, special repair kits are created, where everything is provided: syringe dispenser, smoothing film, blade, blower to control the tightness of clamping.
The compositions use polymeric substances. They fill the crack, making the joint hard and reliable. The kit is suitable not only for repairing windshields, but also for restoring other items.
Store glue – the choice of professionals
It must be strong, elastic, safe. And also transparent and fast drying – a prerequisite for unobtrusive gluing of damaged items.
Be very careful what you do. Hardened drops are difficult to remove without scratching.
Important: Some types of adhesive solutions are applied in two layers. Read the manufacturer’s recommendations before starting work.
A strong, fast-acting adhesive that helps you deal with cracks quickly. Creates a secure bond that can withstand high loads in seconds. It’s called “cold welding.” It does not flow, spreads well over the surface, forming a thin transparent film. Most manufacturers provide products with a convenient dispenser.
Cyanoacrylate dries quickly, creating a strong, durable connection. The only drawback is that it does not tolerate contact with water.
This is a water-based solution of vitreous potassium or sodium silicates. Other names are stationery glue (the same glue sold in the stationery department), “Liquid Glass”. Dries in 24 hours.
The advantages include high strength of the seam and an affordable price. The disadvantage – it is difficult to get into a thin crack.
It is suitable for repairing minor damage on glass, which is not subjected to large dynamic loads.
All types of glue easily fill the gap of up to a few millimeters. When dry, they become transparent and make the crack almost invisible.
The compound is applied carefully. If necessary, take a syringe with a needle. The excess is removed. It takes several hours to dry completely. To speed up the process, blow on the area with a hair dryer.
Advantages: transparency, low viscosity, good bonding force. The composition reliably masks cracks and fixes the product. It is produced as one-component or two-component.
In the first case, the adhesive is produced in a sealed tube, ready for use. In the second, the composition is divided into two parts – polymer and hardener. They are mixed in accordance with the instructions on the package.
Some mixtures require UV light for curing – a special UV lamp or direct sunlight.
Polymer varieties also include epoxy glue. It is suitable for gluing cracks on crystal, ABS plastic and polyvinyl chloride. Colorless, does not leave gaps between glued surfaces. Total drying time – 60 minutes, setting time – 5 minutes.
How to seal a crack on the glass with epoxy glue:
- Prepare the work area and disposable tools (toothpick or bamboo skewer, napkins, gloves). Ensure the room is ventilated.
- Clean and dry the surface. Remove splinters from the crack, if any.
- Prepare the epoxy according to the instructions on the package. Stir thoroughly with a wooden stick.
- Carefully apply the compound with a toothpick, taking care to get it inside the crack.
- Put the two pieces together and secure with masking tape.
When the resin hardens, cut off the excess with a sharp blade or office knife. Hold it at a slight angle of 15-20 degrees. After that, wipe the surface with a glass cleaner.
This kind of adhesive is suitable for repairing glass ceramic hob, oven door or electric kettle body. It contains special components that prevent the cured layer from reacting to heat and release harmful substances.
Cured composition has high strength and tightness. It withstands mechanical processing and heavy loads (static, dynamic).
If there is a crack, the best option is to replace the glass or glue the joint with a reliable glue. But the true craftsman will surely think of how to repair the thing with his own hands and remove the defect.