In the process of use, scratched mirror may appear on the reflective smooth surface. These defects spoil the whole impression of the mirror, and need to be removed.
Whether and how to remove scratches from the mirror, we will tell in the article.
Is it possible to remove the damage?
In its essence, a mirror is a smooth surface, the main purpose of which is the reflection of light. Despite the strength and thickness of the material, the mirror is fragile. If handled carelessly, scratches can easily remain on the surface.
For restoration work, it is better to remove the mirror and place it on a horizontal surface. It is better to remove the frame for convenience.
Minor damage can be repaired and luster can be added at home with folk remedies or special remedies. But with serious damage yourself will not be able to cope.
To smooth out microcracks and make them less noticeable, you can use simple home recipes. To do this, you will need simple remedies that are already in the household.
To carry out the work you will need:
- glass cleaner;
- silicone colorless sealant;
- box cutter;
- A lint-free cloth or rag.
- Apply glass and mirror cleaner to the mirror surface.
- Rub the liquid in with a lint-free cloth until the surface is clean and dry.
- Carefully apply the sealant with a toothpick to the cracks.
- Allow the product to dry.
- Use a knife to carefully remove any remaining sealant that may be on the surface.
- Clean with glass cleaner.
Walnut kernels will help to camouflage the defect. You can use a piece of the kernel to rub the area with the crack.
But the best result is achieved when the kernels are grinded into flour. A small amount is enough to work. To the resulting powder, quite a little olive oil is added so that the composition becomes a paste. And already the resulting paste is rubbed into the mirror.
To rub the mirror with cracks any available vegetable oil can be used. Literally a few drops are enough to treat the scratch.
The oil should be rubbed into the affected surface with a soft, lint-free cloth.
Vinegar and mustard
You will need table vinegar and mustard powder for the job. Both ingredients are taken in equal proportions and rubbed into the mirror surface. The treatment is completed by polishing.
Toothpaste of white color without color inclusions can be used for polishing the mirror. A small amount of paste is squeezed out of the tube onto a sponge and rubbed into the surface that needs to be restored. Rubbing movements should go in an hourly direction.
To mask the scratches, a transparent nail polish is used. To hide the defect, the varnish should be applied carefully to the damage and rubbed in.
If the damage to the surface affected the back side of the glass, a different approach will be needed to repair the defect and restore the reflectivity of the mirror.
For restoration work, ordinary foil can be used. Preparing the surface for the work, it is necessary to clean it, and the mirror itself – to take out of the frame and free access to the back side.
You will need a small piece of foil – slightly larger than the scratch itself, which requires masking. The mirror is turned over with the back side up, wiped down. Using duct tape, fix the foil on the area where there is a scratch on the front side. The piece of foil should be perfectly flat.
Cerium oxide is a chemical compound that can be purchased in powder form. This substance is used in ceramics, for processing jewelry stones, removing scratches on mirrors, etc. The product is available in various packages by weight.
To repair mirrors and remove defects, cerium oxide is diluted to a pulp. The surface that needs to be treated is moistened and the prepared compound is applied.
Periodically moistening the surface, polish with a felt cloth. Adding water helps prevent premature curing of the mass. If necessary, the “porridge” is added and the rubbing continues.
If deep damage
More difficult work awaits if the scratches on the glass are deep. Simple wiping in this case will be ineffective.
The order of the work:
- Wipe the mirror with a glass cleaner. This will degrease the surface and prepare it for further processing.
- Dry the mirror.
- Fill cracks with epoxy glue. When filling cracks, the epoxy should be evenly distributed with no air bubbles or unfilled cavities.
- Any excess filler should be removed with a cotton swab or carefully cut off with a paper knife.
- Allow to stand for 4 days.
- Polish the surface with polishing paste.
- If the surface damage is very serious and cannot be repaired yourself, you can contact a specialist workshop.
Care for the mirror surface should include the following points:
- carrying out regular cleaning with the use of special means or homemade compounds;
- exclude the impact of abrasive or other surfaces, including hard sides of sponges;
- complex damage, chips should be repaired preferably by a specialist;
- mirror cannot stand constant moisture, that is why in the bathroom fogging mirror surfaces should be wiped dry regularly;
- кubbing the mirror with shaving foam can help prevent fogging.
Any dirt on the mirror should be removed immediately.
Tips from experts will help restore the mirror by smoothing out existing damage:
- The use of sharp objects, in relation to the surface of the mirror, should be limited. The office knife used should go at an angle when doing the work so as not to make fresh scratches.
- If the scratch is close to the frame, it is advisable to remove the mirror before performing the work.
- Using any of the recipes, it is necessary to strictly adhere to the specified technology, strictly observing the time for drying of the compositions.
- When applying the repair agent to the surface of the mirror, it is necessary to act carefully, try not to smear the preparation over a large area.
- Use several recipes at the same time should not be used, as the result can be unpredictable.
How to remove scratches from the mirror, depends on the extent and depth of the damage. Simple home remedies and special preparations designed to repair the reflective surface can be used.
With minor damage and qualitatively performed work, the defect after treatment will be completely hidden and become visually invisible.